The year 1946 was ushered in by dazzling rays of hope for peace, progress and freedom after the Philippines was devastated by the ravages of World War II. Through the vision and foresight of the eminent physician Dr. Nicolas G. Escario, Sr., he founded the present prestigious institution of learning in Cebu, the Cebu Institute of Technology – University formerly Cebu Institute of Technology. Dr. Escario’s initiative, and in collaboration with three illustrious Cebuano technocrats: Engr. Fidel C. Dagani, Engr. Amancio A. Alcordo and Engr. Jose A. Cavan, prepared the groundwork for the establishment of the institution. The proposal for the academic venture convinced the then CIT Board of Trustees of its feasibility and wisdom of opening an engineering school. The project reached its final stage when Don Simplicio A. Lizares, Sr. was elected as CIT’s first Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Dr. Nicolas G. Escario, Sr., as President and Don Rodolfo T. Lizares, Sr. as Vice President who pooled their resources to put up the required facilities and services of the institution.
The Cebu Institute of Technology now Cebu Institute of Technology – University opened in 1946 with two pre-fabricated structures in F. Ramos Street. The school started with 512 pioneering students enrolled in high school and college levels. It offered the following degree programs: Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Architecture and Vocational programs. In tune with the objective of the higher education to answer the needs of the time and to complement the technical programs offered, the first non-technical program offered was the Liberal Arts in 1947, Pharmacy and Junior Normal programs in 1948 and Education in 1949. The Vocational department was phased out in 1951 while the College of Commerce was opened in the same year. Two years later, in 1953, the Sanitary Engineering department started. To meet the demands of the growing society, other programs were offered such as Pre-medicine in 1957 and Secretarial in 1958.
On November 1, 1958, the CIT Founder and first President Dr. Nicolas G. Escario, Sr. died, leaving the legacy of a dignified politician, honest statesman and a compassionate physician. At that time, he was able to put up eight (8) semi-concrete school buildings located at C. Padilla Street.
Don Rodolfo T. Lizares, Sr. took over as the second President of CIT. In 1960, under the helm of the new President, the Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering was offered. In affiliation with the Cebu Velez College, the pre-Nursing and Doctor of Medicine programs were also offered in the same year. Foreseeing the demands for Science and Technology, the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering was opened in 1968.
Resourceful and bold in his program for progress, Don Rodolfo T. Lizares, Sr. then replaced the old structures with modern buildings and consequently acquired more facilities in line with the progressive trends in educational management. With his abiding faith in the education of the youth and great zeal of leadership he acquired a new site for CIT at the N. Bacalso Avenue in 1965 and erected a modern four storey-building which was initially occupied by the college graduating students in 1971. Gradually, the remaining colleges at C. Padilla were transferred to the new site. The new campus soon housed the administrative staff, college academic buildings, college library, engineering and science laboratories, and provides sprawling grounds for parking, athletics and drill purposes. Towards the end of 1978, President Rodolfo T. Lizares, Sr., took the boldest venture by engaging in a multi-million-development plan with the Educational Project Implementing Task Force (EDPITAF) of the government. Through this program, CIT University became the resource-based institution for engineering programs in the Visayas and Mindanao regions.
CIT’s aim towards progress surged to new heights in the academe when it received an award as the MOST OUTSTANDING INSTITUTION FOR LEARNING IN CEBU CITY. The award was received during the Cebu City Charter Day celebration in the year 1980.
The demands from the electronics industry in the 80’s challenged the institution to offer the Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering program in 1983.
Keeping abreast with the advancement of science and technology, special computer programs were offered in 1983 under the Computer Department. As the department grew, it was renamed the Department of Computer Studies with its innovative ladderized curricula. The department was given government recognition by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS) to operate its degree programs: Information and Computer Science, Computer Management, Computer Technology and Computer Engineering with their corresponding associate certificates.
The passing away of President Rodolfo A. Lizares, Sr. on April 4, 1991, paved the way for CIT’s leadership to a younger and dynamic successor, Mr. Gregorio L. Escario, as the third president of the institution. Under his leadership, the Kindergarten school was opened together with the reopening of the Elementary Department in 1992. A modern three-storey building fully equipped with modern academic facilities now houses the department.
Ever aspiring for its quest for academic excellence, Cebu Institute of Technology was awarded in 1994 as the MOST OUTSTANDING ACADEMIC INSTITUTION IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY for Region VII.
Aside from continuing his leadership in education in the three academic levels, President Escario has given full support to other innovative special programs such as Industry-Academe Linkages and Special Computer Programs. Consequently, the Department of Computer Studies (DoCS) – currently the College of Computer Studies – was awarded with multi-million peso funding assistance from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) for the creation of the Multimedia Development and Training Center (MDTC) and the Software Development and Training Center (SDTC).
As CIT University continued its march towards progress and academic excellence, the institution was deputized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) in 1999 to offer the expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program (ETEEAP).
In 1999, an additional four-storey High School building was constructed.
- Awarded as CHED – CENTER OF DEVELOPMENT FOR EXCELLENCE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION in Region VII
- CIT was authorized for the spin-off of the BS Commerce curriculum into seven BS Business Administration programs.
- The expansion and developmental efforts for the Department of Computer Studies ushered its upgrade as the College of Computer Studies (CCS).
- The Secretarial Department was revitalized to Office Administration Department with the approval of the four-year BS Office Administration program.
- The Science and Technology building was constructed.
- On November 18, the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA) awarded seven Business Administration programs (BSBA), Bachelor in Elementary Education Program (BEEd) and the Bachelor in Secondary Education (BSEd) with CERTIFICATES for Level I Applicant Status.
- Foreseeing the global demands of the nursing profession, CIT University decided to reopen the College of Nursing on January 29. The permit to operate a four-year course, Bachelor of Science in Nursing was granted by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
- On February of the same year PACUCOA granted Level 1 applicant status to the BS Computer Science program.
- On June 28, CIT was granted by CHED the permit to operate Master in Computer Science.
- The CIT University Gymnasium was constructed.
- PACUCOA Level 1 Formal Accredited Status was granted to the BS Business Administration, Bachelor in Elementary Education, Bachelor in Secondary Education and Computer Science programs.
- Permit was granted for the offering of AB major in Graphics and Media and AB Mass Communication.
- Granted by CHED the permit to operate Master in Information Technology and was identified as delivering institution for the CHED Faculty Development Program.
- Awarded by PACUCOA as one of the top ten institutions (nationwide) with the most number of accredited programs with majors.
- Government Recognition for the Master in Computer Science was granted by CHED.
- PACUCOA Candidate Status was granted to the BS Chemical Engineering, BS Civil Engineering, BS Mechanical Engineering, BS Electronics and Communications Engineering, BS Accountancy and BS Information Technology programs.
- Awarded by PACUCOA as one of the top ten institutions (nationwide) with the most number of accredited programs with majors.
- Won in the PACUCOA search for Best Case Study.
- A new Academic Building was constructed.
- Awarded by the Commission on Higher Education as Center of Excellence in Information Technology Education, one out of nine schools in the Philippines.
- Awarded by PACUCOA with the highest number of programs with candidate and level I applicant status.
- Awarded as an “Outstanding Institution” by the Cebu City Government on the occasion of the city’s Charter Day celebration
- Offered the following new programs: BS Hotel and Restaurant Management and BS Tourism Management
- Re-opened the following programs: AB English with Applied Linguistics, BS Biology and BS Mathematics
- PACUCOA granted the following programs the Level II First Reaccredited Status: BS Computer Science, BS Business Administration, Bachelor of Elementary Education, and Bachelor of Secondary Education.
- Awarded by PACUCOA for being the school with the highest number of level I applicant and candidate programs
- PACUCOA Level 1 Formal Accredited Status was granted to the following programs: BS Chemical Engineering, BS Civil Engineering, BS Electronics and Communications Engineering, BS Mechanical Engineering, BS Information Technology, and BS Accountancy
- Granted DEREGULATED STATUS by the Commission on Higher Education in recognition of CIT’s accomplishments, adherence to quality assurance, and commitment to public responsibility and accountability as a higher education provider
- CHED issued Government Recognition (GR) to the following programs: BS Biology, BS Hotel and Restaurant Management, and BS Tourism Management
- The supervision of the Computer Engineering Department was turned over to the College of Engineering and Architecture.
- The College of Commerce offered the BS Accounting Technology program. CHED Region VII issued Government Permit No. 058, Series of 2009 to operate the program.
- CHED issued Government Permit to operate the Master in Public Administration program (No. 031, s.2009)
- CHED issued Government Permits to operate the following graduate programs: Master of Arts in Education major in Mathematics (No. 046,s.2009), Master of Science in Teaching Mathematics (No. 047, s.2009), Master in Business Administration – thesis and non-thesis (No. 054, s. 2009)
- PACUCOA granted level I accreditation status to the Bachelor of Science in Psychology program.
- Awarded by PACUCOA as the member-school with the highest number of accredited programs in Region 7.
- issued Government Recognition to operate the following graduate programs: Master in Business Administration – thesis and non-thesis (No. 029 s. 2010), Master in Public Administration (No. 007, s. 2010), Master of Arts in Education major in Mathematics (No. 068, s.2010), and Master of Science in Teaching Mathematics (No. 069, s.2010)
- By virtue of Resolution No. 142-2010 of the Commission en Banc, CHED granted the Special Government Recognition to offer the Doctor in Information Technology (DIT) Program for the duration of five (5) years from Second Semester of School Year 2009-2010 to First Semester of School Year 2014-2015. The Special Government Recognition is limited only to the DIT Consortium Program members.
- CHED issued Government Recognition to operate the Doctor in Public Administration (No. 072, s. 2010) and Doctor in Business Administration (No. 073. s. 2010)
- The CIT Library and Learning Resource Center (LLRC) became a member-library of the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA).
- The BS Nursing and Bachelor in Public Administration programs passed the PACUCOA consultancy visit conducted on June 18, 2010.
- By virtue of Commission en Banc Resolution No. 165-2010, the Commission on Higher Education granted Cebu Institute of Technology the University Status on July 7, 2010.
- The Investiture of the First CIT – University President Gregorio L. Escario was held at the Cebu City Marriott Hotel on September 8, 2010
- For the second time, CIT won the PACUCOA Best Case Study Contest
- College of Computer Studies offered the Doctor in Information Technology (DIT) program.
- College of Engineering and Architecture offered the Master of Engineering major in Chemical, Civil, and Mechanicla Engineering program.
- Nine Academic programs that underwent preliminary survey by a team of PACUCOA accreditors were granted “Candidate Status” ready for Level 1 formal accreditation (Bachelor of Arts major in Mass Communication, Graphics and Media, English with Applied Linguistics; BS Biology, BS Mathematics, BS Nursing, BS Architecture, BS Computer Engineering, BS Electrical Engineering, BS Industrial Engineering, Bachelor in Public Administration)
- The seven programs with Level 1 Formal Accreditation status are set to undergo Level 2 Reaccreditation while four Level 2 reaccredited programs are due for Level 3 visit in 2013 (BS Chemical Engineering, BS Civil Engineering, BS Electronics Engineering, BS Mechanical Engineering, BS Information Technology, BS Accountancy, BS Psychology)
- Conferred with three awards as the PACUCOA member-school with the highest number of accredited programs in Region VII; highest number of programs with candidate status, and 4th highest number of accredited programs in the whole country.
- Seven (7) faculty research papers were presented in various international, national, regional, and local conferences. These papers are from the College of Computer Studies, College of Engineering and Architecture, and the College of Arts and Sciences.
- The establishment of the CIT Innovation and Technology Support Office (ITSO) for patent searches.
- CHED Center of Excellence (COE) Grant is allotted for the creation of the eLearning Center under the College of Computer Studies. COEs in Information Technology Education (ITE) are expected to incorporate online learning as part of instruction. The eLearning Center is created to develop intervative learning modules which can be accessed online.
- College of Education offered Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) with program majors in Early Childhool Education, Special Education, English Language Teaching, Science and Technology, and Filipino.
- Two faculty members coming from the Biology and Mathematics Department presented their research papers at an International Conference.
- Approved by DOST the establishment of a Drying Technology Development Center in Central Visayas. A University’s role in research, training and extension for both faculty and students in developing their research skills.
- Awarded by PACUCOA as 4th Institution with the highest number of accredited programs in the Philippines’ Institution with the highest number of accredited programs in Region VII; and Institution with the highest number of candidate accredited programs.
- CIT signed a Memorandum of Understanding with THE CHIBA PREFECTURAL ICHIKAWA TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL IN JAPAN. The MOU sealed the two academic institutions’ collaboration that started 3 years ago wherein students and faculty engaged in joint research studies, technology and cultural exchange
- The Industrial Engineering Department was awarded by UNESCO National Commission of the Philippines with the following: First ever Most Outstanding UNESCO Club in the Philippines; Outstanding UNESCO Club in the Science and Technology Category; two IE students were awarded as Outstanding UNESCO Club Student Leaders (College Category); a faculty member was awarded with and Outstanding UNESCO Club Young Professional .
- Signed a Memorandum of Agreement with Canadian Institute of Business and Technology (CIBT) Group. The group offers certificate, diploma and degree programs in industries such as healthcare, tourism and hospitality, business, social development, and the trades.
- DOST-SEI approved the inclusion of BS Mechanical Engineering (BSME) program among the DOST-SEI priority courses
- Two CIT alumni among the four awardees were recognized as outstanding Chemical Engineers by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Board of Chemical Engineering Industry in the Philippines
- CIT was a recipient of the Cebu Chamber of Commerce and Industry as “Quality Education Distinction Award”
- CIT sealed ties with the following companies: Alliance Software; and Ethos Corporation
- Faculty research papers were presented in conferences from the College of Computer Studies, College of Engineering and Architecture, College of Arts and Sciences, and the College of Nursing.
- Nine Academic Programs were Granted Level I Formal Accredited Status by PACUCOA
- PACUCOA awards CIT as institution with the highest number of accredited programs in Region 7
- CHED granted CIT College of Nursing the Government Recognition to operate the Diploma in Midwifery program
- The following programs were assessed by PACUCOA for Level III accreditation: BS Computer Science; BS Business Administration; Bachelor of Elementary Education; and Bachelor of Secondary Education
- PACUCOA granted the following programs with Level III reaccredited status: Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Bachelor of Elementary Education, and Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Faculty research papers were presented in local and international conferences from the College of Engineering and Architecture, College of Nursing, College of Computer Studies, and the College of Management, Business and Accountancy
- Faculty research papers were presented in conferences coming from the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Engineering and Architecture
- CHED designated CIT through the College of Computer Studies as one of the Delivering Higher Institutions (HEI) for the Special Training Program on Business Analytics for Information Technology
- The Elementary and High School Departments passed the preliminary accreditation from PACUCOA and started preparing for the Level I formal accreditation.
- Faculty research papers were presented at two international conferences from the College of Computer Studies, and the College of Nursing
- CIT offers Senior High School with Academic Strands Offerings: 1) General Academic (GAS); 2) Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics (STEM), and Accountancy, Business & Management (ABM)
- Faculty research papers were presented in the local and international conferences from the College of Management, Business and Accountancy, College of Engineering and Architecture, College of Nursing, and the College of Arts and Sciences
- CIT retained Center of Excellence in IT Education Status by the Commission on Higher Education per Memorandum Order No. 38 Series of 2015
- CIT was awarded as member-school with highest number of accredited programs in Region 7.
- Faculty research papers were presented at international and local conferences from the College of Computer Studies, College of Nursing, and the College of Engineering and Architecture
- As per CHED Memorandum Order No. 20 Series of 2016, CIT was granted AUTONOMOUS STATUS
- PACUCOA granted the following programs the Level II 2nd reaccreditation status: BS Psychology, BS Accountancy, BS Information Technology, BS Chemcial Engineering, BS Civil Engineering, BS Electronics Engineering, and BS Mechanical Engineering.
- The PACUCOA granted the Elementary and High School programs the Level I formal accredited status.
- University President Gragorio L. Escario passed away on April 22, 2017.
- The investiture of Engr. Bernard Nicolas Escario Villamor as new university president was held at the auditorium on June 10, 2017.
- The College of Computer Studies re-offered the Doctor in Information Technology (DIT) postgraduate program and offered the Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS) program.
- The Commission on Higher Education designated CIT University as a Delivering Higher Education Institution (DHEI) for Graduate Education in the K to 12 Transition Period for the DIT and MSCS programs.
- The Elementary Department marked its 25th year anniversary.
- In commemoration of the birthday anniversary of the late President Gregorio L. Escario, September 23 has been declared as Faculty – Admin Day.
- CIT University was awarded by the PACUCOA as the institution with the highest number of accredited programs in Region VII.
After over seven decades of existence, CIT University is proud of its exemplary performance in the national board/ licensure examinations. It has produced 79 first placers, and 687 placers. This number of topnotchers continues to grow every year.
In the next decade, Cebu Institute of Technology – University envisions to be Centers of Development/Excellence and majority of its programs accredited.